My crazy life

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Down but not forgotten?

Headline -- Brad Pitt shocked by Post-Katrina devastation

It seems like most of the country has a short attention span, especially when it comes to the NOLA area post Katrina now 11 months after the fact. I have been on the Mississippi Gulf Coast 4 times with my church. It still gets to me every time I am there, it is so much damage and destruction that after seeing it for a day or 2, you almost become numb to it. Our country does not need to forget about the people still putting their lives and houses back together, relying on the generosity of others to get the task accomplished.

When I went on my 4th of July trip to Waveland-Bay St. Louis, I saw people still living in tents, most in FEMA trailers, and very few back living in their houses.

I got to take a day trip to New Orleans, where most of the 9th Ward and St Bernard Parish hasn't changed much since 11 months ago.

You can check out some of the details and events from my last trip to the coast on my Pastor's blog, Downshoredrift.

You can check out the mission our church has planted, Pathfinder Mission.

I also got to meet Joe Kennedyduring the 4th of July weekend, a Baptist blogger that attends the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, who has made a committment to use his blog to ensure that NOLA and the rest of the Gulf Coast is not forgotten. He has a photoblog there to check out for pictures of the 9th Ward and St. Bernard Parish day trip I was able to take.

For some pictures in case you are not able to go on a mission trip, check this site out.

I would just ask that you would still search your heart, ask God what He would have you to do to still help out during this long rebuilding process in this region.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home